Fudan University was established in 1905 as Fudan Public School. Fudan University was merged with Shanghai Medical University in 2000, forming a new, stronger Fudan University with a broader set of disciplines: medicine, sciences, and arts. As one of the first participants in the 211 and 985 Projects, Fudan has developed into a comprehensive research university, with Departments of Philosophy, Economics, Law, Education, Literature, History, Science, Engineering, Medicine, and Management.
The campus is laid out as a main area consisting of the Handan Street Campus and Jiangwan New Campus areas, along with two side campuses, Fenglin Campus and Zhangjiang Campus, covering a total area of 2.4432 square kilometers. The total area of all school buildings is 1.4923 square kilometers. Eleven hospitals are also affiliated with the school, including Zhongshan Hospital and Huashan Hospital, with a total of 15,000 doctors, nurses, and personnel.